Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book Review: Love Finds a Home; Wanda Brunstetter

Love Finds a Home: 3 Historical Romances Make Falling in Love Simple and SweetLove Finds a Home: 3 Historical Romances Make Falling in Love Simple and Sweet by Wanda E. Brunstetter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a collection of 3 historical stories. I truly loved the last two stories in this book of three. I would read Dear Teacher and Twice Loved again but I would not bother with Daddy's Girl which is why I have to mark this book down by 2 stars.

Daddy's Girl is about an 18 year old daughter of a gambler and drifter who may have fallen for a minister. When her card cheating father jumps off a train, and supposedly dies, she wonders what will become of her. forced into a marriage to a man she doesn't know she finds Christ. This is about the point where I wanted to throw this book out the window and not finish it. What continues to happen in the book is unbelievable and in my opinion not worth reading. Of course there is a happy ending which I always like. If you want to know the happy ending read the rest of the book but it is a predictable ending and left me disappointed in an author whose books I normally love.

Dear Teacher is a sweet novella that I found heart warming and as a teacher something I could see happening even in 2012. Judith King is a teacher who feels she will never fall in love because of teasing and name calling she suffered when she was a child. In this day and age of bullying in schools I loved how she was adamant that her student's would not name call or bully. She reaches out to one of the "canalers" children and turn may be falling love with him as well. what will happen to Judith, will she ever be loved by this man? His children have fallen for her and she hopes he will too. I found this novella relate able and a quick read that was a refreshing return to the writing I love from Brunstetter.

Twice Loved is a wonderful story about finding love after being widowed. While buried in the burdens of raising her daughter after the death of her husband during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Bev is let go from her job when the soldiers return from WWII. She hopes to only find a job at Twice Loved a used and refurbished toy store. Dan is still grieving for his wife who died of leukemia 2 years earlier. He just wants someone to help him run his deceased wife's dream. What he didn't expect to happen was for Bev and her daughter Amy to change his life and bring his happiness back. They both struggle with trusting another person and Dan feels he will dishonor his wife by ever loving again. When they each find separate notes left by Dan's wife, at just the right time, to open their eyes to being Twice Loved. I loved this book and could not put it down, I read it all in one sitting and found it a great read as well as a wonderful book to read during the holidays, when it takes place. I wanted to be out playing in the snow with the characters and found myself cheering for them to find love again. I highly recommend this book


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment