Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review: Redeeming Grace by Emma Miller

Redeeming GraceRedeeming Grace by Emma Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What would you do if someone showed up on your doorstep saying they were your deceased husband’s daughter he never knew about? This is how Grace shows up on the Yoder's doorstep. Then Hannah Yoder, mom extraordinaire welcomes the long lost daughter into their house and lives without questioning if Grace is truly who she says she is. I gave the book 4 stars because I find the 100% welcome of Grace into Hannah's life without question hard to believe. As I read the book I continued to struggle with this concept. The rest of the family was not as welcoming and for that reason I only deducted a star.

Redeeming Grace is well written and I stuck with the book because I truly liked the other 4 books in the series. Reasoning on Hannah's part for accepting Grace so quickly is well handled and explained but I still find it unbelievable. The fact that Grace struggles to open up to the family wholly because she is not perfect is truly believable and how the family accepts her not matter her past, by the end of the book, shows God's true character through this family. Grace's struggle is based on her misunderstanding in thinking that all Amish people are perfect and could never accept someone who is not. I really liked how the Yoder family showed Grace that God loves you no matter your mistakes.

Even with my questioning how Hannah accepted Grace, the book was very good and I look forward to the next book in the series to come out in May 2013. I would recommend this book to most everyone. I have to remember that there really are people out there who would welcome someone into their house as Hannah did, but in this day and age it is probably not safe, still it made for a good story line and showed how some people can love you no matter your background or parentage, a truly good lesson to learn.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment