Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review: Katie Opens Her Heart by Jerry Eicher

Katie Opens Her HeartKatie Opens Her Heart by Jerry S. Eicher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As usual I love Jerry Eicher’s writing. This is a great book and I recommend it to all my friends, family and blog followers. My only problem is I have to wait 5 months for the next book to find out what more happens to Katie.

This book is titled Katie Opens Her Heart, which I wrongly assumed would mean Katie fell in love, got married and had bopli. No that is not what happens in this book, looking at the next 2 books in the series I am thinking she doesn't get married until the third book, thus my impatience in waiting for Jerry's next books. I want to know what happens. Jerry's writing draws you in so much you can't put his books down, only now I am forced to "put it down" and wait for the next book to be published.

This is a heartwarming story mainly about Katie and her widowed mother, who are seen as odd by the Amish community because the widowed mother has never remarried after over 10 years. Mom has become somewhat of a recluse and wants to keep Katie all to herself, never dating, falling in love and marrying. I was so drawn into the book that I became angry at Katie's mom for not allowing her to grow up and meet new friends and attend youth gatherings. Poor Katie just wants to please her mother yet have the life of a Plain teenager. Katie's mom has sworn off ever falling in love again because there is too much pain in loving someone. She wants to keep Katie all to herself, not even wanting her to have a job. Katie rebels and stays at her job and makes new friends while going against her mother and attending Mennonite youth gatherings. What happens is a heartwarming story of how a mother and daughter overcome obstacles, remain close in adversity and rebellion and both open their hearts to a life outside of their own home. I won't go into what happens that is for you to find out by reading the book, someone does fall in love, and mother and daughter become closer than ever and allow other people into their lives, read the book to find out more.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. where did u get a review copy from? I am always looking for books to review!

    ReplyDelete