Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review: An Amish Gift

An Amish Gift: A NovelAn Amish Gift: A Novel by Cynthia Keller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What can we learn from the Amish? This wonderful book shows us the answer, how important family is. Even if our family is messed up, dysfunctional, or broken we still need to love them. We all make mistakes but it is how we forgive out loved ones and then support them through their troubles that count.

I found the book a pure joy. I could relate to the characters on many levels, like how Jennie grew up with alcoholics for parents, hated the drinking and feared my husband would fall prey to alcohol as well. I have also had a rocky relationship with my children, family members and spouse. Ms. Keller makes the troubles of the Davis family believable and real and shows it is how we help each other that matters in life. Jennie watches how the Amish families around her handle the trials in life. She puts their values and forgiveness into action in her life and finds how her life becomes happier and more meaningful. Jennie starts a home business like her Amish friends, having her daughter help her market and make candy. The love and bond that grows between her and her daughter is a lesson we can all learn from and hopefully implement into our lives as well.

I was surprised that the focus family was not Amish, but moved into an Amish area and learned a great deal about the importance of family through their friendship with the Amish. The Amish religion was mentioned but not the religion of the Davis family I think that added to the believability of the Davis family’s difficulties, if they had God in their lives and Christian values then their lives wouldn't have been easier but they would have stuck together better and been happier in the process. I liked how all 4 Davis' learned from their Amish neighbors. The book is a clean read but I would have liked a few Bible references in it. I like more Bible references in the books I read, it makes me feel I'm reading a book and getting devotion time all in one, but I still truly enjoyed this book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment