Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Book Review: A Simple Autumn

A Simple AutumnA Simple Autumn by Rosalind Lauer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is about a four star but not quite. I did not read the first 2 books in the series; maybe if I had I would have liked it more. It was a standalone book, in other words you can read it without the other 2 but it leaves you wanting the back story of the King family.

There is a great moral to the book that of finding love in the ones around you. I this case Annie Stoltzus has always loved one brother, who left the Amish community, came back when his parents were murdered but not for Annie, he brought an Englisher with him. Annie cannot see what a great catch Jonah King is; he is just someone in the background to her. As he helps out at her family farm because her father is weak then succumbs to a heart attack. Jonah has loved Annie all their lives, watching her from afar while is school. He hopes that helping out on her farm will open her eyes to the wonderful guy he is. Then to Jonah's dismay she decides to move to New York to live with her sister. What can he do, he will never love another.

At the same time the wild brother Gabe King is secretly courting the School Teacher Emma Lapp. She has to keep a high moral standard and the embarrassment of the King family, a brother marrying a convert from the outside world and a sister who left the Amish community to sing, may come between her and her love. Gabe will not settle down, he would rather ride dirt bikes than keep the high moral standard that Emma feels he must. Emma has to break up with Gabe to keep her teaching position, or so she feels, bringing heartache to her and Gabe both.

What will become of these two couples? Will they ever find true happiness together? Read the book to find out, I won't give it away.

I am a huge fan of Amish Fiction and read every book I can find. I liked this book but not as much as my favorite authors Beverly Lewis of Beth Wiseman. I would recommend this book for those who love Amish fiction as I do it keeps you wondering with all its twists and turns. I just didn't find it to be the "I can’t put it down book" I read from other authors.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment